Shakespeare Hall, Rowington Green
A timber framed house dating from the late Medieval period with various additions through the Post Medieval and Imperial periods. A moat is believed to have surrounded the building at one time. It is situated at Rowington Green.
1 This monument number was previously used for Rowington Mill. For this monument please refer to WA1771.
2 The oldest part of the house is the centre block, which is flanked by two small gabled wings. The western wing forms a porch which leads into the entrance passage. Later cross wings were added to each side of the main block. Much of the house shows its timbering, but parts have been bricked. About 1900 a further wing was added to the E and the space between the two cross wings, on the garden front, was filled in. Occupation information is noted from 1548 – 1660s. It is marked as building No. 41 on the 1550 – 1650 map in this book.
3 The Hall has developed around an early 16th century structure of close-set framing with a middle hall of one storey flanked by small tow storied gabled wings. In the upper story is a projecting 17th century window of four lights with a transom. The inner entrance has a segmental-arched lintel and has a 16th century nail-studded door. The middle block has a window of four lights and a transom, with projecting frames, in each of the two stories, the upper forming a gabled dormer and dated 1682. Late in the 16th century gabled cross wings of square framing were added, projecting at the back to from a half-H plan. Around this time a central chimney stack was added between the original hall and porch wing. The stack has a wide fire-place on the ground floor and on the first floor is a moulded stone fire-place with a Tudor head.
There was formerly a moat around the building.