Remains of C18 activity N of Bascote
Archaeological excavation uncovered a well, a cobbled trackway and pottery dating to the Imperial period. This may be a settlement site, perhaps linked to work being carried out in the area in the 1700s either on the canal or at the quarries. It is situated 100m north of Bascote.
1 Excavations (EWA3238) carried out in advance of the laying of a sewage pipe across the remains of Bascote shrunken Medieval settlement (WMA 1702) also found the remains of 18th century activity in the N part of the site. Features included a marl pit, a cobble trackway and a stone lined well with possible camp fire sites around it. The remains are dated on ceramic evidence largely to the 18th century and may be associated either with the construction of the Grand Union Canal (MWA 4300) and Bascote Wharf (MWA 4305), which opened in 1800, or with local quarrying activities.
2 Full excavation report on the above with further details of the C18th remains encountered.