Post-Medieval Quarry, Bowling Green Street, Warwick
The site of several quarry pits dating to the Post Medieval period. The quarry may have been used as a source of stone for rebuilding the town after the fire of 1694. They were located 400m north west of Warwick Castle.
1 1967: A section was cut across the putative line of the town ditch. No trace of the ditch was found, all evidence having been destroyed by extensive quarry pits which had been filled with masons’ debris by the mid 18th century and may have been dug to obtain stone for rebuilding operations following the Great Fire of 1694. Whether or not the W garden wall of the Lord Leycester Hospital represents a remnant of the 15th century town wall thus remains open to question. (Or was thought so at the time)