Post Medieval Fishponds at Newnham Paddox
Fishponds for breeding and storing fish, which date to the Post Medieval period. They are visible as earthworks, and are situated to the east of The Grove, Newnham Paddox.
1 A drawing of Newnham Paddox house in 1708 shows two rectangular ponds. On the E side is an elaborate and extensive system of canals including a triangular pool. In 1741-3 the waters were altered and a document discusses the cost of the work. Various maps show the shape and extent of the ponds in the 19th century.
2 They are still full of water and well-kept.