Possible Site of Rykmersbury Deserted Medieval Settlement
Documentary evidence suggests that this was once the site of Rykmersbury, which became a deserted settlement during the Medieval period. The site lies in farmland approximately 3km north west of Warwick.
1 Rous lists this destruction. Victoria County History Vol 3 p119 correctly places the village in a field in Beausale parish now associated with the name of the chapel of this village (PRN 2654). It lies NE of Bulloak Farm. A field called Rykenylesbury was part of the 13th century endowment of Beausale Chapel. In 1545 John Coppe leased a close called Ruytonsbury or Roundtable in Beausale being called Cuckow Church land.
2 The earthwork at Camp Hill is still known as the Round Table and could be the site of Rykenylesbury (PRN 2669).
3 The Victoria County History suggests that the site was at Camp Hill and does not mention Bulloak Farm.
4 Location unknown (U), period of desertion known, but documentary evidence inferior in quantity (1).
5 1951: The field NE of Bulloak Farm is the one associated with the name and memory of Cuckow Church. In the N corner of the field, at the top of the hill, large stones are occasionally brought to the surface by the plough. 1961: The farmer recorded that foundations lay at a depth of 0.2m in the N corner of the field and also in the adjoining corner of the field to the W. These stones were dressed yellow sandstone blocks. No definite trace of depopulation.