Possible DMV at Charlecote (Church site)
The site of a possible deserted settlement at Charlecote dating to the Medieval period. The settlement lay close to the Medieval church. It is possible that the village was moved to create the park. There is documentary evidence for the depopulation of the village.
1 Charlecote deserted Medieval village is listed as a site for which a prima facie case can be made out, but as yet no definite evidence. Rous says ‘almost all imparked’ and gives figures for the reduction in population. Charlecote village is there to be seen but it may have been transplanted with the building of the park.
2 Nothing to be seen on the site (D). Period of desertion known, but documentary material inferior in quantity (1).
3 It has been suggested that the village site was at ‘Old Town’ (PRN 1123).
4 It seems more probable, however, that it was close to the site of the Medieval church.
5 Monument area extended slightly to the north, to include the houses opposite the turn to Hampton Lucy.
6 In Domesday in Tremlow Hundred. The Phillimore text gives a grid ref of 2656 which corresponds with this monument.
Ref 16,12 (Land of the Count of Meulan) Saxi held it; he was a free man. 3 hides. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 2; 7
slaves; 14 villagers and 2 smallholders with 5 ploughs. 2 mills at 21s; meadow 12 acres. Value before 1066 and later
50s; now £4.
7 A watching brief was carried out in advance of the construction of a new car park entrance. At least two phases of ditch were recorded. Medieval pottery came from the ditch fills; it is suggested that this represents a boundary ditch or drainage feature. This suggests that medieval Charlecote extended to the south of the church.