Old Lodge Farmhouse N of Binley Woods, Rugby
A house that was built during the Post Medieval period. It is marked on a map of 1784. The house is situated 800m north of Rugby Road, Binley.
1 Early 17th century, two storeys and attic; brick, stone capping to plinth, moulded stone string over ground floor windows, bounded stone quoins; old tile roof. West front has two gabled bays, above eaves gables have bounded stone quoins. Central door in stone architrave surround, pulvinated frieze, cornice and pediment. The north gable end has a large two storey angular bay almost the whole width with bounded stone quoins and hipped old tile roof and a 16-light stone mullioned and transomed window on each floor. To the left hand of gable end, set back, is a lower gable; two storeys and attic. To the east is a 19th century two storey brick block with tile roof. South gable end has a 2-light attic mullioned window. The upper room of the north angular bay has a flat arched stone fireplace. The staircase has been removed.
2 Discussed in text.
3 Shown on map.
4 Appears on estate map.
5 Visited in 1983.
6 The site was a ‘major nodal point’ for horse riders in the 17th century Combe Abbey Park.