Moat at Grafton Court
The site of a possible Medieval moat, a wide ditch usually surrounding a building. Two sides of the moat are visible as an earthwork and the moat is marked on a map dating to 1815. It is situated 100m east of Grafton Court Hotel.
1 Moat Close and a waterfilled moat marked.
2 Only the W and S sides are marked.
3 Probably the original site of a manor house (PRN 1725). The S and W sides are intact and waterfilled, the N and E sides are just evident through the undergrowth. There is no surface evidence of building.
4 The E arm may be represented by the present day stream bed, or by the low drop onto the island from the E slope, which could mark an infilled ditch.
5 Moated sites survey card.