Lower Milcote Deserted Settlement
The site of a deserted settlement of Lower Milcote, dating from the Medieval to the Imperial period. The remains of the settlement are visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. It is located 400m east of the church, Luddington.
1 Rous mentions the destruction of a village at Milcote and a church is recorded as demolished in 1638 (PRN 6287). 17th century poor law rate disputes occurred. Air photographs show some earthworks in the gardens of the manor exactly in the alignment of the site of an old lane to Stratford. But there is not a great deal to see.
2 There appear to have been two Milcotes – on Avon and on Stour.
3 The published area has been ploughed and subjected to intensive cultivation for the past few years. There are no surviving features.