Kinwarton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the medieval settlement at Kinwarton based on documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement based on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886, 37SW.
2 Domesday lists Kinwarton, in Ferncombe Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid reference of 10,58.
Ref 11,4 (Land of Evesham Church) in Kinwarton 3 hides. Ranulf holds from the Abbot. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1; 3 slaves; 3 villagers and 2 smallholders with 1 plough. A mill at 3s; meadow, 1 furlong long and 12 perches wide. The value was 40s; later 5s; now 20s.
3 The 1886 map shows a tiny hamlet with a church and one or two other buildings. There seems to be a boundary hedge to the north and east, and a few plots to be included to the west and south. The parish is not yet covered by ridge and furrow plotting. The church [WA1566] dates from the C14th or earlier, and there are records of shrunken medieval settlement [WA3774], and other records of medieval activity.