Holy Trinity Church, Stratford upon Avon
Holy Trinity, a Medieval church with later additions and alterations, possibly on the site of an earlier monastery (PRN 1026). The church contains Shakespeare's monument. It is situated 200m north of Lucy's Mill, Stratford upon Avon.
1 Plan of the Church of Holy Trinity. Chancel, central tower, N and S transepts, nave, N and S aisles and N porch. The nave is deflected considerably to the N of the axial line of the other parts of the church.
2 Description: The earliest features are the early 13th century transepts and the upper parts of the tower. The tower was reconstructed c1310, the nave and N aisle widened and rebuilt c1320 and the S aisle rebuilt by 1331. The next period of extensive alteration was in the late 15th century; the chancel was rebuilt, as were the clearstorey and W end of the nave, into which the great W window was inserted. The N porch was added probably at this time. The stone spire was built by William Hiorn of Warwick in 1763 and is said to have replaced a wooden spire. There was a building, removed in 1799, N of the chancel resembling somewhat the chapels still existing at Solihull Church. It was of two or three storeys, the lowest being vaulted and half below ground, and it became known as the Charnel House from the subsequent usage of the crypt. The chamber above may well have been a vestry or sacristy. The chancel screen of c1500 and the original stalls and desks in the chancel survive. Monument of William Shakespeare (d 1616). The Lady Chapel at the E end of the N aisle became the burial place of the Clopton family and contains eight monuments, the earliest of 1496.
3 Photographs of the Nave, Chancel and of some of the Misericords.
4 The S aisle is connected with the foundation of a college by John de Stratford, later Bishop of Winchester, in 1331 and has its original ceiling with bosses. Chancel built by Dean Balshall (d 1491), the clerestorey and N porch probably by his successor, Dean Collingwood (d 1521 or 1522). Church restored by Bodley and Garner in 1888-92 and again in 1898.
7 Three small trial pits were excavated against the south side of the aisle, Holy Trinity Church; all found re-interred human remains from as little as 0.3m below ground level. Intact burials were found at c.1.2m deep in two trenches. The base of the aisle footing was found at c.1.4m below ground in the westernmost trench.