Farnborough Hall Park
A landscape park associated with Farnborough Hall. The park was created during the late Post Medieval or early Imperial period.
1 18th century landscape park, c65 ha, round Hall and principal garden area of 6.5 ha. Landscaped by William Holbech from 1745 onwards. Features include four ornamental ponds and a cascade. The ponds (WA 642) are visible from the lawn on the western side of the Hall, and from different points along the Terrace Walk which extends southwards in a serpentine curve for 750m. Mid 18th century park structures include an Ionic temple, oval pavilion and obelisk, and the deer larder.
2 Evidence of early 19th century work in park.
3 It is assumed that there were formal gardens associated with the 17th century house, but no trace remains. The 18th century designed landscape is shown in full on an estate survey of 1772, though many features, including the Serpentine terrace and most of the temple and other structures, were created in the 1740s. The park contained a complex system of water features, again mid 18th century. The design seems to have been that of William Holbeche, with the advice of Sanderson Miller, and is comparable with that of a number of contemporary ferme ornee designs in Warwickshire, including Radway Grange. Late 18th and 19th century developments include the pleasure ground north-west of the house and an octagonal kitchen garden.
4 The OS 1:10560 1887 shows a number of the park features.
5 The OS 1:10560 1923 shows an area of parkland shaded, though this does not represent the full extent of the park.
6 Park shown on Greenwood’s map of 1822.
7 A parkland plan, combining cartographic, historical and documentary research with initial archaeological assessment. Contains extensive information on the historical development of the parkland as well as research on elements of the current designed landscape.