Dovecote East of Wasperton Manor House
The site of a Post Medieval dovecote, a building used for the breeding and housing of doves or pigeons. It was situated 100m north west of the church at Wasperton and was demolished in 1969.
1 A dovecote existed to the east of the Manor House. It was hexagonal (or octagonal) with a tiled roof and square lantern. It measured 11 feet accross and the walls were 1 foot six inches accross. The building had 275 nest holes.
The lower part upto floor level at 6 foot was of ealry 16th century stone; the upper portion was of 17th century brick.
There was a door opening on the side at the upper level, and a bricked up doorway at ground level. The dovecote was demolished in 1969 as it obscured the view from one of the modern cottages.
2 A report from 1945 suggests that the dovecote was in fair condition. It classes the dovecote as octagonal, with brick walls. It was 3.3m in diameter and the walls were 0.45m thick. The lantern, through which the birds flew out and re-entered, was square and the roof was tiled. Original timber floor survived at a level of 1.8m from the ground; a door opened at the upper level on the west side and a bricked up doorway was recorded at ground level.
3 Image of the dovecote in the 1930s. A rather substantial crack has appeared!