Clifton Upon Dunsmore Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Clifton on Dunsmore based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS first edition 6″ map of 1887, 28NE.
2 There are two entries in Domesday, in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 5376.
Ref 6,9 Alwin the Sherriff gave Clifton (upon Dunsmore) to this church (Coventry) with the assent of King Edward and of his own sons, for his soul’s sake, and by the witness of the County. Earl Aubry wrongfully annexed it and took it from the church.
Ref 14,2 (Land of Earl Aubry) Alwin the Sherriff held it before 1066; he was free with the land. 5 hides. Land for 16 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs. 12 villagers with a priest and 20 smallholders have 7 ploughs. 2 mills at 11s; meadow 8 acres. Value before 1066 and later 40s; now £4. Alwin gave this land to Coventry Church for his soul’s sake before 1066. Earl Aubry took it away.
3 The 1887 map shows a neat rectangle of lanes enclosing the village, parcel like. The fields to the southwest suggest ridge and furrow.