Canal Basin at Hillmorton
The site of a canal basin, an open area bounded by wharves and warehouses. It was in use during the Imperial period, and was situated 150m east of the Church of St John the Baptist. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1905.
1 This complex is depicted on the 25″ OS survey of 1905 as a curved basin arm to the north of the main canal, and a Y-shaped arm to the east. In 1840 the three locks were duplicated to speed navigation, and due to the resulting increase in use, a pump had to be installed.
2 The complex is now a BWB maintenance yard. There is an impressive lock house.
3 The pump was installed in the late 1700s. The old pump house still exists and is now a residence. The lock house has now been dismantled. This is a site of major significance and needs a thorough site survey.