Brandon Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Brandon based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS second edition 6″ map of 1887, 27NE.
2 Brandon is listed in Domesday in Stoneleigh Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 4076.
Ref 17,54 Wulfsi holds 1/2 hide in Brandon. Land for 4 ploughs. 10 villagers with 1 slave have 3 ploughs. A mill at 26d; meadow 16 acres; woodland 4 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. The value was 20s; now 25s. Thorkell held it freely.
3 The 1887 map shows in particular the impact caused by the railway which separates the village from Brandon Castle after several centuries of close proximity. The housing density of the village looks thin, with empty areas within the central part, suggesting shrinkage. There is also a possible site of desertion immediately to the southwest, WA4266. There is no church.