Bishop's Tachbrook Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Bishop's Tachbrook based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the first edition OS map of 1886, 39NE.
2 The village is listed in Domesday in Tremlow Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 3161.
Ref 2,3 The Bishop (of Worcester) also holds holds 7 hides in (Bishop’s) Tachbrook. Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 9 slaves. 11 villagers with a priest and 7 smallholders have 9 ploughs. 2 mills at 12s 8d; meadow 12 acres. Value before 1066 £3; now £7; as much when acquired. This land is St. Chad’s church’s (Lichfield).
3 The 1886 map shows a village with thin occupation; most of the plots contain trees. There seems to be a boundary hedge on the eastern side, running down from the brook, but the settlement stops short of it, again suggesting shrinkage. The church [WA 711] dates from the C12th. The parish has not yet been covered by ridge and furrow plotting, but the RAF aerial photo of 1947 does not show any survival immediately around the village.
4 Potential earthworks are visible in the fields immediately to the north of Savages Close. These may represent house plots, although, as noted above, no plotting of earthworks from aerial photography has yet taken place.
5 Archaeological evaluation carried out opposite the Church of St Chad recorded no archaeological features associated with the medieval settlement, despite being on the probable medieval street frontage.