The site of a deer park, where deer were kept for hunting. It was established in the Medieval period and is situated south east of the Horse and Jockey public house at Bentley. Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie
1 In 1240 the Bishop of Coventry received licence to take 6 bucks from the park of Bentley. Bentley Park is mentioned again in 1265. Its later history is uncertain.
2 Bentley Park Wood and the adjacent Monks Park Wood were obviously at one time a single unit. The perimeter is identifiable as one continuous feature. The two parks are divided by an earthen bank. The OS records that the park was still extant in 1607 and gives VCH as the source.
3 There is no apparent source for this comment in the VCH.
4 Lovie states that Bentley Park is adjacent to and SW of Monks Park Wood and Merevale park and adds that Bentley Park remained emparked in 1607. Recommendation for inclusion on Local List by Lovie.
5 Portable Antiquities Scheme find provenance information:
Date found: 1999-09-30T23:00:00Z
Methods of discovery: Metal detector