Bearley Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of Medieval settlement at Bearley as suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ Ordnance Survey map, 38NW 1886.
2 Bearley was mentioned in Domesday of 1086-1090 as ‘Byrlei’, meaning a fortification in a clearing. In 1100 land ownership was held by the monks of Bordesley and a small church was built around this time.
3 In the Domesday survey in Ferncombe Hundred. Grid ref 1760. Two references, 22,27 and 28,18.
22,27: (Land of Henry of Ferrers) Alric holds 1 hide in Bearley. Land for 1 plough. 1 villager and 1 slave. Meadow, 1
acre. The value now 10s.
28,18 (Land of William son of Corbucion) in Bearley 4 hides. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 9 villagers
and 6 smallholders with 5 ploughs. Meadow, 4 acres; in Warwick 1 house which pays 8d. Value now 40s.
4 The Domesday grid ref is 1760, whereas this area is 1860. The church is late C12th in origin. A circular lane encloses the central area. The SMR holds no records as yet for medieval activity in Bearley.