Barton Manor House
Barton Manor House, a house that was built during the Post Medieval period, possibly the Stuart period. Alterations were made to the house during the Imperial period. The manor house is situated at Barton.
1 Manor house, now divided into two. Datestone inscribed “JOHNPAYTON ANNO DOMINI 1663”. The wing on the right is 18th/early 19th century. Lias ashlar with alternating broad and narrow courses, and limestone dressings. Left gable of colour-washed 19th century brick. Wing of red brick with brick dentil cornice. Tile roof, stone slates to left cross-wing. Brick internal and end chimneys. L-plan with cross wing on left and coped cross gable on right. Two storeys and attic, 5-window range, 2-window wing. 17th century studded door with traces of incised lozenge pattern in moulded wood surround with later overlight above lintel, and cement dressings. Barton Cottage, formerly listed as Manor House, has entrance next to cross-wing: 19th century 4-panelled half-glazed door with moulded wood surround and late 20th century porch of coursed lias with tile roof. Stone mullioned 2 and 3-light windows with hood moulds. Cross-wing has 4-light ground floor windows with king mullion, and 19th century attic casement under segmental arch. Left return side has 2 blocked 2-light windows on first floor. Rear wing has some exposed framing, and in the kitchen a large open fireplace, now partially blocked, with broad stop chamfered bressumer.
2 The north front, nearly 60 feet long, is of two stories and attics, in lias stone. The eastern part, which projects slightly, has a gable-head rebuilt in brick. The western has an original coped gable flush with the middle main block and bearing a panel inscribed JOHN PAYTON, ANNO DOMINI 1663. The windows have stone mullions and moulded labels. In the middle part are two doorways, of which the western has an ancient nail-studded door and ornamental strap-hinges. A red-brick addition of early-18th-century date on the west side has tall windows with oak frames, mullions, and transoms.
3 Photograph of the Manor House.