Barford Royal Observer Corps Underground Monitoring Post
Royal Observer Corps Underground Monitoring Post at Barford. Monitoring posts were to be used for reporting nuclear bursts and monitoring fall-out in the modern period. The post lies east of a track 130 meters south of Wasperton Lane
1 The primary role of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) was the recognition and identification of hostile aircraft. With the start of the cold war and the increasing threat of nuclear attack in the 1950’s, the ROC was given the added responsibility of reporting nuclear bursts and monitoring fall-out which necessitated the construction of 1563 underground monitoring posts throughout Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
In a locked compound. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the green paint. A dome on the ventilation shaft indicates that this was a master post. Much remained including a table, shelf, cupboard, short wall shelf, two matresses, two plastic chairs, coax cable, BT junction box and wiring, Tele-Talk, WB1401 carrier reciever with WB1410 filter unit, cluster map, tool board, papers, wire brush, headphones and the aerial mast pump. All artefacts were removed by the owner. The post is on a private estate and the owner would not welcome further visitors. Photograph
The compond fencing is high with barbed wire on top and the gate is locked and secure. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the green paint. A dome on the ventilation shaft indicates this was a master post. The hatch is locked. Opened July 1959 and May 1969, Closed October 1968 and September 1991. A brick aircraft post was standing in the larger outer compound was demolished in 1992.