Austrey Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the first edition 6" Ordnance Survey map of 1885.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the first edition 6″ map of 1885, 3NW.
2 There are 3 entries for Austrey in Domesday; it was in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 29(SK)06.
Ref 8,1 Burton Abbey holds 2 1/2 hides in Austrey. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 6 villagers and 4 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Value before 1066, 40s; later 10s; now 30s.
Ref 19,6 Nigel holds 2 1/2 hides in Austrey. Land for 2 ploughs. 7 villagers and 3 smallholders have 2 ploughs. The value was and is 20s.
Ref 41,1 Nigel of Aubigny holds Austry from the King. 5 1/2 hides and 1 virgate of land. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 2. 12 villagers with a priest and 8 smallholders have 5 ploughs. Meadow 1 furlong long and another wide. The value was £6; now £3. 8 thanes held it freely before 1066.
3 The 1885 map shows a large dispersed village, possibly two centred, with settlement around the Manor House, and further south, around the church. There are earthworks of shrunken settlement [WA8885], between the two. The northern part looks more planned than the southern.There is no clear boundary hedge, and no ridge and furrow plotting of the parish. Domesday indicates a populous and valuable village, and there are signs of empty plots on the 1885 map, so the population probably contracted.