Arrow Medieval Settlement
The Medieval settlement of Arrow which is indicated by documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, (PRN 43 NW 1886), and on existing SMR records.
2 Domesday lists the village in Ferncombe Hundred, grid ref 0756.
Ref 4,1:- The Bishop of Bayeux holds Arrow from the King, and Stephen from him. Leofwin held it. 7 1/2 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 2; 8 villagers and 10 smallholderrs with 4 ploughs. A mill at 6s 8d; meadow, 30 acres; woodland 1 league long and 2 furlongs wide.
3 The grid ref for Arrow given in the Domesday publication suggests that the village lay a little further west, on land that is emparked on the 1886 map. The church is C12th in origin. The 1886 map shows only limited settlement along the main road.