Arley Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement based on evidence from the first edition Ordnance Survey 6" map, and on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement, based on the first edition OS 6″ map of 1887, 10 SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday lists Arley; it was in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 2890.
Ref 42,2 Christina holds one hide in Arley. 4 villagers who have 2 ploughs. Woodland 1 1/2 leagues long and 1 league in width; when exploited value 60s.
4 The 1887 map shows only the church, the rectory and the school; no other settlement, and few clues in the way of little fields or boundary hedges. Ridge and furrow survival surrounds the church area, but only abuts it on the southeast side. Domesday indicates a small village, so perhaps it was always only a hamlet.