This school was built in 1837, adjoining the churchyard and parsonage, on a site presented by Lord John Scott. Previous to its erection the girls were instructed on the week-days in the upper part of the boys’ free-school, and on Sunday with the boys in the church.
The term “National School” means that it operated under the scheme of the independent National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church (before the Government introduced its own schemes from the 1870 Education Act onwards). The Government made small grants for schools, and the National Society made grants for school buildings. There was an alternative Society for non-conformists.