Little Lawford Mill. In 1086 the mill on this site was valued at four shillings. The mill was held by the monks of Pipewell Abbey in the twelfth century. It was leased to Richard Boughton in 1485 and to Henry Wissyter in 1515 at fifty two shillings per annum. From 1828 to 1845 Joseph Dafforn was the miller. Between 1850 and 1880, George Spokes, E. Brierly, E. Fletcher, T. Foxley and George Eagles are recorded. By 1888 Thomas Foxley had returned to the mill and ran it until about 1904. In 1908 Robert Russell was the miller and Mrs Russell carried on from 1921 until milling ceased a few years later. The three storey mill building is of brick and adjoins the mill house. The water wheel was removed in the 1940s to ease the passage of flood water. In recent years a small roller mill has been installed and is driven from outside the building by a tractor, to produce animal foodstuffs. 1950s
IMAGE LOCATION: (Rugby Library)
Reference: W, 725.34, img: 7818
This image is subject to copyright restrictions. Please see our copyright statement
for further details.