Upper Quinton Medieval Settlement
The possible area of Medieval settlement at Upper Quinton. This area may have remained after other local settlement shrinkage.
1 The possible area of settlement that remained after the shrinkage of MWA6452, based on the first edition 6″ map of 1884, 50SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday lists Quinton under Gloucestershire. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 17,46 which is that of Upper Quinton.
Ref EG13 Hugh (of Grandmesnil) also holds Quinton. 2 hides. A thane held it. In lordship 2 ploughs; 5 villagers and 1 smallholder with 3 ploughs. 4 male slaves, 1 female slave. Their value was £7; now £4.
Ref EG14 Quinton, and Roger from him. 12 hides. Baldwin held it before 1066. In lordship 3 ploughs; 17 villagers and 2 smallholders with 9 ploughs. 6 slaves. The value was £7; now £6.
4 The first edition map shows houses grouped around the Green, but only on the north and east sides, – the west and south consist almost entirely of empty plots, some of which contain trees or have been planted with orchards. A little lane runs down through the centre north/south, with a small triangular enclosed patch (market?), beside which the lane does a dog leg. The ridge and furrow plotting abuts the settlement tightly on all sides. A brook runs along the eastern boundary, and there is what looks like a boundary hedge on the southern side. Domesday indicates a valuable village. MWA2359 is the site of shrunken settlement.