Thurlaston Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and on aerial photographs.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS map of 1886, 28SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday lists Thurlaston in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of SP 4671.
Ref 16,33 in Thurlaston 2 1/2 hides. Robert holds from him (the Count of Meulan). Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 female slaves; 4 villagers and 1 smallholder with 2 ploughs. Meadow 50 acres; pasture 2 furlong. The value was 40s; later 30s; now 35s. Wulfgar held it freely before 1066.
4 The 1886 map shows a small village built along the main north/south road and with dog-leg back lanes. The ridge and furrow survival surrounds the settlement and abuts it in many places except to the west where the fields are still strip shaped.There is no church, but WA3088 was a medieval chapel of which the location is unknown. WA 3089 is the site of a medieval grange.
5 The village is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086, then called Torlavestone, the name originally Thorlaf’s Tun. It is also one of the 25 parishes that contribute annually to Wroth Silver at Knightlow. Thurlaston passed from various owners including the Monks of Pipewell in Northamptonshire in the C13th until 1538