St Sepulchre's Priory Outer Grounds, Warwick
The outer grounds of the medieval priory of Warwick located in and to the north of Priory Park.
1 St Sepulchre’s Priory was founded in 1109 and dissolved in 1536.
2 After the dissolution the lands of St Sepulchre Priory were granted to Thomas Hawkings (alias Fish) in 1546. This land remained virtually intact until the 19th century when it was spit up by construction of the railway in 1851 and the canal.
3 For the outer grounds area the southern limits are bounded by Priory Road and the eastern medieval suburb of Warwick.
The eastern limit appears to reach to the brook or possibly Coventry Road.
On the west side it seems the estate went right up to Saltisford medieval suburb.
The least known limit of the outer precinct area appears to be it’s northern edge. The north-western boundary seems to be the edge of Wedgenock Park but the priory estate then continues to stretch further north towards the area of Woodloes.
4 Portable Antiquities Scheme find provenance information:
Date found: 2003-01-01T00:00:00Z
Date found: 2001-01-01T00:00:00Z
Date found: 2005-03-01T00:00:00Z
Date found: 1993-01-01T00:00:00Z
Date found (2): 1999-01-01T00:00:00Z
Date found: 1999-07-31T23:00:00Z
Methods of discovery: Metal detector