Site of Windmill 600m NE of Bull Ring Farm, Ufton
Documentary evidence suggests that this is the site of a windmill that was in use from the Medieval to the Imperial period. It stood to the north east of Flax Hill.
1 A windmill is recorded in 1291.
2 A will of 1719 mentions a parcel of ground containing by estimation about half an acre with a windmill.
3 The mill is marked on Yate’s map of 1787-9, but not on later maps. It stood in a large meadow still known as Mill Field. There are several slight undulations in the area, but nothing to indicate the actual spot.
4 ‘Mill Ground’.
5 The field is under cultivation without any indication of the site of the mill.