Site of Toll Gate S end of Bawnmore Road, Rugby
The site of a toll gate, where travellers would pay a toll to use a toll road during the Imperial period. The toll gate is marked on a tithe map of 1840. It was situated towards the southern end of Bawnmore Road, Rugby.
1 Shown clearly in this position with the toll house to the north on the 1840 tithe map. It is reported as occupied in 1840 by William Curtis.
2 “Toll gates were located at “Bilton Fields” near the junction of the present Bawnmore Road.”
3 The site is now occupied by road verges and private gardens. There is no evidence of a toll gate.