Site of Cell of Benedictine Nuns at Oldbury Camp
The site of a Medieval Benedictine nunnery which was located on the south side of Oldbury Camp.
1 After the Norman Conquest the nuns were expelled from Polesworth Abbey and settled at Oldbury. They later returned to Polesworth although a cell at Oldbury continued until the time of Henry II (1154-1189). No remains survive.
2 On the S side of the fort was a cell of the nuns of Polesworth. Part of a chapel, dedicated to St Lawrence, still stands (in 1630 when the 1st edition of Dugdale was completed).