Site of a Smithy, Bulkington Road
The site of a forge where wrought iron was made. The forge is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887 and dates back to at least the Imperial period. It was situated 100m north of the church at Shilton.
1 ‘Smithy’ marked.
2 The occupant of a house near the site who is in her 60s recalls having the smithy pulled down about twenty years ago, because it was a ‘hovel’.