Possible site of a dovecote, Wootton Wawen
The site of a possible Medieval dovecote, a building used for the breeding and housing of doves or pigeons. There is documentary evidence for its existence from the Medieval to the Imperial period. It was situated west of the church at Wootton Wawen.
1 A dovecote is mentioned in descriptions of the priory close in 1442 and 1588. it is marked on a 16th century map of Wootton and on the tithe map of 1840. It is also mentioned in the enclosure award of 1776.
2 No trace of a building remains.
3 Sketch plan.
4 An earthwork survey of Church Field in 2002 concluded that the dovecote recorded among the priory buildings in 1281 may have been the same structure recorded in the 1570s map, located where there is a small mound in the southern part of the field, at approximately SP 1522 6328.