Medieval boundary ditch near Round Hill
A boundary ditch of Medieval date which survives as an earthwork. It is located in the area of Round Hill.
1 The VCH records that a boundary ditch crossed Burford Lane to run up to the top of Round Hill, and that this was identical with the modern parish boundary between Great Alne and Spernall and probably with that of the land granted by William Durvassel to the Abbot of Winchombe in 1182. It is surmised that this was the ‘New Ditch’ which may actually have been cut to mark this boundary in 1182.
2 Probably the same site as WA 1570.