Kinwarton Dovecote, a building used for housing doves or pigeons. It is of Medieval date and is situated 100m north east of Kinwarton Church.
1 N of Kinwarton Church (WA 1566) is a round dovecot built of rubble of thin stones with some plaster rendering. It dates from the C14, and may in fact be the dovecote which Robert Green granted to William de Boys, Abbot of Evesham (1345-67).
2 The building is round with a conical roof, and from the ogee head of the small doorway to be dated early or mid C14. There are over 500 nesting holes, and the centre rotating beam has an attached ladder from which any nest can be reached.
3 The building is in good condition, only the two lower courses of stones are visible below the plaster rendering. The National Trust now owns the dovecote.
4 Photo on SMR Card.
5 A round C14 dovecote in excellent condition. Built of rubble with plaster rendering and small ogee-headed doorway. Over 500 nesting holes. The potence post survives.
6 Foster Dovecote #16.
7 Circular dovecote built of rendered limestone with an old conical clay tiled roof. Roof surmounted by a wooden louvred lantern (possibly C17), with a lead top. Two louvred dormers with flight holes. Small low entrance with unusual two-stone ogee door-head, with plank door. Exterior now rendered with sandy rendering. Walls apx 1.1m thick. Internal walls lined with 590 stone nest boxes in 17 tiers, each tier with continuous alighting ledge. Potence post survives, possibly retaining some of original timbers. Earth floor. Site part of a moated grange which belonged to the Abbey of Evesham. Contains many unusual and important survivals of original features.
8 Original scheduling details. SAM 69.
9 Two maps provided by the National Trust.