Farnborough Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Farnborough as suggested by documentary evidence.
1 Probable extent of the Medieval settlement as deduced from the first edition OS 6″ map of 1886, 52NE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Farnborough is listed in Domesday in Hunsbury Hundred. The Phillimore ed. gives a grid ref of 4349.
Ref:-2,1 The Bishop of Chester holds 3 hides in Farnborough from the King. Stori held it before 1066; he was a free man. Land for 14 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 18 villagers and 1 smallholder with 9 ploughs. Meadow 60 acres. Value before 1066, 100s; when acquired 60s; now 100s.
4 The church MWA 615 dates from the C12th, and the Domesday entry suggets a sizeable settlement. MWA 618 is a possible deserted medieval site, and the 1886 map looks shrunken with empty plots and orchards. Ridge and furrow abuts the village on the east. To the south and southwest the ridge and furrow is detached, suggesting that the Farnborough Hall estate may overlie medieval occupation. The northern boundary hedge looks clear, and there are little lanes off the main street to the north and south.