Excavation of Fort Defences, 1968
Part of the defensive ditch of the Roman fort at Mancetter was excavated. It was situated 25m east of Mancetter Road, Mancetter.
1 1968: A section was cut at the almhouses parallel to and near that dug by Oswald in 1955 (WA 397). The banks visible on the surface are associated with a 17th century or 18th century hedge line, but by coincidence they coincided with the inner ditch of a three-ditch military system. The outer ditch was steep-sided, of typical profile; the inner one was shallow and possibly contained a thorn barrier. The only dateable material is a fragment of form 29 of MEDILLUS (c. 60-80AD) from the inner ditch, but associated coarse wares would fit this late Neronian-early Flavian context.
2 Excavation report.
6 Noted; confirmed E defences.