Bidford on Avon Royal Observer Corps Underground Monitoring Post
Royal Observer Corps Underground Monitoring Post at Bidford on Avon. Monitoring posts were to be used for reporting nuclear bursts and monitoring fall-out in the modern period. The post lies at the end of a farm track 500 meters from Stratford Road, Bidford.
1 The primary role of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) was the recognition and identification of hostile aircraft. With the start of the cold war and the increasing threat of nuclear attack in the 1950’s, the ROC was given the added responsibility of reporting nuclear bursts and monitoring fall-out which necessitated the construction of 1563 underground monitoring posts throughout Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
In a rectangular compound at end of farm access track 200 yards from Stratford Road, just west of the boundary fence of Bideford Grange Golf Course. Welded shut. All surface features remain intact with some flaking green paint. There is a double step up to the ventilation shaft and the adjacent ventilation shaft has been demolished below the level of the louvres. Photograph. Opened June 1960. Closed September 1991.