Cuttle Lime Works
Cuttle Lime Works, where lime was made in the Imperial period, and which are shown on a map of 1834. An associated tramway is shown on a later map of 1899. The limeworks were located south of Cuttle Bridge.
1 Limeworks are shown opposite the Cuttle on the 1834 map. These were no longer shown in 1899, but the tramroad is shown (PRN 5234). White’s Directory of 1874 refers to Tatham Kay’s blue lias works and Charles Witherington’s yellow limestone quarry. The former is clearly the existing Southam works. Charles Witherington was a coal merchant at the Cuttle, and presumably also owned the Cuttle Lime Works, so they were still in existence at this time.