Cross in Ufton Churchyard
The remains of a Medieval cross. Only the carved head survives; the base and the shaft are modern. It stands in the churchyard of St Michael's Church, Ufton.
1 Close to the S entrance to the churchyard there is a cross, the head of which dates from the close of the 14th century. It has four panelled sides with trefoils, crocketed heads, small crocketed pinnacles at the angles, and a crocketed pyramidal top surmounted by a finial. The four panels have carved figures of St Chad, St Catherine, the Crucifixion and the Blessed Virgin Mary. The cross head was dug up in the churchyard and after restoration it was provided with a new shaft and base before being set up in 1862.
2 Base of cross and shaft modern, and form war memorial. Head is well preserved.
3 Photo taken in 1952.
4 The head is now in a bad state of repair; much of the stone facing has broken away and the figures are unrecognisable.