Cross in Kinwarton Churchyard
The remains of a Medieval cross which is located in Kinwarton Churchyard. The Medieval cross shaft now sits of a modern stone base.
1 Kinwarton Cross found in 1870 in the stable yard of the Rectory and then removed to the churchyard and used later for a gravestone.
2 Standing in the churchyard, forming part of a modern funeral monument, is a fragment of late C11 cross-shaft, 1.2m tall, 0.5m wide and 0.4m thick. It is carved on three faces with interlacing knot ornament now almost weathered away. The fourth face is rough. A modern cross has been placed on top of it.
3 Remains of a very ancient shaft mounted on a modern pedestal. This is probably of Saxon origin and would date from around 900.
5 SAM list 1986. SAM 127.
7 It has been assumed that the dating suggested by reference 2 is more accurate than that proposed by reference 3.
8 New scheduling information. SAM No. 33138.