Church End Shrunken Medieval Settlement
The deserted settlement of Church End dates to the Medieval period. It is known from documentary evidence and earthworks are visible. It is located 100m south of Church coppice.
1 The small hamlet of Church End is mentioned by name in Medieval documents, and it may represent the earliest (Medieval) settlement in the parish. There were buildings here in the 19th century (PRN 6306). Stone foundations are visible just W of the moat (PRN 790). There cannot, however, be room for many homestead sites. A further group of stone foundations appears just W of the churchyard wall (SP3558), but these do not appear to amount to more than three to four houses. The creation of the pool S of the church may have drowned one or two more building sites.
2 A small, irregular area of earthworks near the isolated church, moat and fishponds must represent the hamlet of Church End, so named 1287.
4 Ancient Monument description.
5 Site surrounds St Giles church and the adjoining cottage. No surface material visible in the arable portion.
6 New Scheduling Information (was County No.106). The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of the medieval settlement (WA 788/WA 6306), a moated manorial site (WA 790 and WA 6302) and fishponds (WA 6303). St Giles Church, the churchwarden’s cottage and the northern half of the church cemetery are totally excluded from the scheduling.
7 The survey highlighted substantial buildings surounded by walls which can be interpreted as possible barns and coach house and dovecote associated with the manor building and gardens. There is also evidence of a courtyard with a road heading towards the possible manor house over the moat.
8 Chronological list of dates about Chesterton.
9 Letter to a resident of Chesterton.
11 Copy of scheduling map.
12 Letters about a) the ponds to the north of the churchyard and b) about damage to fishponds.