Ansley Medieval Settlement
The extent of the Medieval settlement based on work on the first edition Ordnance Survey 6" map, and on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement, based on the first edition OS 6″ maps of 1887, 10 NW and SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Ansley was listed in Domesday; it was in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 2991.
Ref 15,13 In Hartshill and Ansley 2 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. 13 villagers with 5 ploughs. Meadow 6 acres. The value was £4; now 100s.
4 The 1887 maps show little plots each side of the Birmingham Road, and there is the site of a possible medieval earthwork [WA3936] on the southern side of this road.The ridge and furrow plotting shows some survival which abuts these roadside plots. Domesday indicates that the village was of middle size and there is known medieval settlement at Church End to the north, where the church [WA154] dates from the C12th.
5 Greenwood’s map of 1822 shows this area as Nuthurst Heath and shows Ansley to the north where Church End is now.
6 Beighton’s Map of 1725 shows Ansley to the north where Church End is now and has nothing marked for this area.
7 It may be that this area was a late medieval or post-medieval settlement, possibly squatter enclosure on a ridge of higher ground or common. It is unlikely this this formed the main settlement for Ansley which appears to be at Church End.