This attractive Grade II listed building was the old gas works for Warwick and Leamington. The building was erected in 1822: one of the first gas works in the world. The circular gas holders (or gasometers) were hidden inside the two octagonal towers (with false windows). The 1851 Board of Health map (see photo above) shows a Coal Shed, Retort House and a third Gasometer behind the main building, but these have all now been demolished. More recently the main building has been used as offices and was then disused for over ten years. It is now (2014) being redeveloped by the Waterloo Housing group in partnership with Warwick District Council. 11 two-bed affordable flats are being built. It is good to see this delightful building being put to good use again.
Source. Warwickshire County Record Office: Board of Health map 1851, reference