World War II feature: Bofors emplacement at Rugby.
The remains of a Second World War gun emplacement. All that remains is the circular concrete holdfort for a Bofors gun. It is situated in a small area of ridge and furrow between Johnson Avenue and allotments north of Bilton Road, Rugby.
1 Circular concrete holdfort sited in a small area of ridge and furrow between Johnson Avenue and allotments north of Bilton Road, Rugby. To the north of this is a square predictor emplacement and semi-sunk shelter. The majority of the site is half buried (WO 166/2857). The Rugby sites were manned by 313 and 314 troop, this particular emplacement was identified as EE site on the total armament list of 1940.
2 This site was one of 8 Bofors sites and 11 Lewis gun sites built in a ring to defend the vulnerable railway junction and important factories.
3 Earlier version of 1 with slightly more detail. Bofors guns were 40mm.
4 In advance of ground work for new housing a number of trial trenches followed by complete excavation of the site revealed the remaining structure of the gun emplacement. The structure was archaeologically recorded.