Upton Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Upton for which there is documentary evidence. No archaeological remains are visible on the surface. The deserted settlement site is located within the grounds of Upton House.
1 The name is preserved in the double parish name although Upton House is the only habitation with the village name. The depopulation took place in 1499 when five houses are listed as destroyed and 220 acres enclosed. The 1517 Inquiry ends ‘The said hamlet of Upton is totally destroyed’. The area of the house and grounds is large and nothing is visible from the air photographs.
2 Archaeologically there is nothing to see and the site has possibly been obliterated by the country house (D [Cov]). There is excellent documentary evidence (1*) for the village.
3 There is no evidence of desertion within the grounds of the house. This may well be due to later landscaping.
4 Domesday has 2 entries for Upton; in Ferncombe Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of SP 1257.
Ref 1,8 in Upton, Albert the Clerk holds 3 hides from the King in Almes. 2 priests with 2 ploughs; 10 villagers and smallholders with 4 ploughs between them. Woodland 1/2 league long and 3 furlongs wide.
Ref 29,3 (Land of William Bonvallet) Roger holds 4 1/2 hides in Upton from William. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 1 1/2; 4 slaves; 10 villagers and 5 smallholders with 4 ploughs. Meadow 30 acres; woodland 10 furlongs and 18 perches long and 5 furlongs wide. Value 70s; the value was 10s. Three of Earl Leofric’s men held it freely.