Topiary garden at Compton Wynyates
The site of a topiary garden which was established during the Imperial period. The topiary garden has now been replaced by a rose garden but some of the original garden features remain. It is situated at Compton Wynyates House.
1 Famous topiary ‘Best Garden’ created on terraces south of house post 1886. Important example of revival of topiary work, became famous image of English garden. The garden was removed circa 1985.
2 The topiary garden was laid out in 1895 for the 5th Marquess, who may have designed it himself – although other names, such as JD Sedding, have been put forward. Laid out on a terrace south of the house, it contained yew shapes arranged in 8 square panels centred on a circular pond; the panels also contained herbaceous planting. The topiary was removed in 1980, but surviving features include the steps up from the lower lawn, the terrace, the central pond, a brick path, rustic summer house and a pergola. Another pergola and a sundial have been removed. The topiary garden has been replaced by a rose garden containing old varieties.