Spirit Vaults public house, Market Street, Atherstone

Description of this historic site

Historic public house situated on the east side of Market Street. Now the Market Tavern.

Notes about this historic site

1 Spirit Vaults public house, Market Street, Atherstone.
Historic public house recorded on F. White & Co.’s database which shows it in existence in 1874.
Situated on the east side of Market Street, within the medieval settlement area.
The listed building date (DWA328) is late C18th.
2 Became the Cricketers’ Arms by 1896 and, at the end of the 20th century, became the Market Tavern.
The first known occupier of 21 Market street, lying between Swan House and Beech House, is William Fox, in 1593, although the property did not become a public house until much later. The property was bought by a liquor merchant in 1811. in 1849 it was ‘Sanders and Sandford, wine & spirit merchants’; by the 1851 census, the wine and spirit business was still running although the premises appear to be operating as an inn at this time.
By 1896, the property had become a public house.

More from Atherstone
More from Public Houses
More from Public Houses