Site of Quarry
The site of two former marl pits, from which a mixture of clay and carbonate of lime would have been extracted as a fertiliser. They date from the Imperial period, are marked on a tithe map of 1842. They were situated north of Stretton under Fosse.
1 Two fields centred on SP452 817, on the 1842 tithe map are called Great and Little Marl Pit: the ground is still very uneven, showing signs of open quarrying (except for the part which has been built on), under grass.